Running Clinic with Dr. Mark
The running clinic on April 11, 2016 with Dr. Mark Cucuzella was great. We had a strong turnout for Dr. Mark’s talk. More than 50 people listened, practiced, and tried to squat, balance, breath, stand up straight (harder than it sounds!) and learn more about running more joyously without quite so much shoe. Dr. Mark sent an email with lots of links, videos, books, and events. Go to this link for all the details!
Race Directing 101
SVR receives numerous requests to help with local races. Unfortunately, we are not able to help or sponsor everyone. We sponsor more than 30 races a year, including many that benefit local and national charities. Directing a race and raising money for a worthy charity is rewarding but very time-consuming, demanding months of advance preparation.
Below, please find links that will help you understand the planning needed to pull off a successful, safe, and enjoyable running event.
1. Joplin Roadrunners Race Directing 101–This website offers a comprehensive look at planning a race. Favorite quote: “ If you are thinking about starting a new race to raise lots of money for a cause, you may want to think again.”
2. Championship Race Race Director 101–An exhaustive checklist providing the many components needed for a successful race. Favorite quote: “Develop a Race Committee, Race Director, Course Manager, Sponsor Manager, Food Manager, Volunteer Manager, Fun Run Course Manager, Marketing Manager, Registration Manager.” This shows how critical it is to have lots of help and volunteers.
3. Race Director Handbook–Pacer Events does a nice job of mapping out the planning stages for a road running event. Favorite quote: ““If managed correctly, a road race can be a great fundraising tool and public relations vehicle; if executed poorly, it can become a financial drain and a frustrating experience for your volunteers, staff and participants.” So true.
- Dailymile Online Running Community
- Gmaps Pedometer
- Map My Run
- SVR on Facebook
- Road Runners Club of America
- Appalachian Trail
- George Washington and Jefferson National Forests
- Shenandoah National Park
- Shenandoah River State Park
- Sky Meadows State Park